If you live in or travel to Pennsylvania, you may be looking for a good VPN with Pittsburgh server options.
Fortunately, many of the top premium providers have servers in the neighboring areas and some in the state itself.
Below, we’ll look at the best options for VPNs in or near Pittsburgh and their benefits.
Why do you need a VPN with a Pittsburgh server?
There are several perks of choosing a VPN server in this location:
- Speed – Even the best providers lower your Internet speed a bit because it takes time to route traffic through different servers. This latency is reduced the closer you are to the VPN server.
- Unblocking Content – You might wish to access region-restricted content in Pittsburgh or Pennsylvania state. That includes local news articles, sports events, etc.
- Security – At its heart, a VPN is about protecting your online activity from third parties attempting to track you. It’ll hide your precise location, IP address, and browsing history.
- Traveling – If you’re visiting Pittsburgh and want a head start using local services, a VPN can be the answer. For example, you can match locals on a dating app or subscribe to a local streaming site.
- VoIP – Sometimes, when using Internet-based business phones, your location is set in a different city or state. Using a local VPN can rectify this issue.
Best 5 VPNs for Pittsburgh (PA)
Here are the five premium providers that offer fast and secure service:
1. Private Internet Access (PIA)
PIA takes the top place thanks to its many servers across 84 countries, including those specific to Pennsylvania.
The subscription plans are for one month, one year, or three years. The standard price is $11.95/mo, but there are significant discounts for longer commitments
Whichever option you choose, you can use the dedicated apps on ten devices simultaneously. These span desktops, browsers, iOS, Android, games consoles, and smart TVs.
Moreover, you can set up PIA directly on your router to secure your entire network in one go. It also features:
- Kill Switch – Pauses Internet traffic if you become disconnected from the VPN.
- Split Tunneling – Choose the apps and devices to route through the encrypted network.
- Ad Blocking – Protect your traffic and block intrusive ads, trackers, and dangerous sites.
PIA provides each customer with an optional dedicated IP to hide your real one. You might opt for this for business networks or email servers.
That also means you’ll never share an IP address with other users and get temporarily blacklisted because of their actions.
Personal Internet Access (PIA)You’ll never miss a game because of geo-restrictions again with this premium VPN provider.
Although Windscribe doesn’t have a server in Pennsylvania, it has a bunch in neighboring ones in New York, New Jersey, and Washington, DC. This infrastructure makes it ideal for anyone in the East of the United States.
It gets the thumbs up for being one of the few premium VPNs with an excellent free plan.
Rather than restricting you to a free trial that lasts a few days, you get 2GB of data a month, which can be upgraded to 10GB after confirming your email address.
That way, the free plan might never expire, and you can make unlimited connections.
Alternatively, it has a competitive $9/mo premium option or $5.75/mo if you commit to a year upfront. Its versatile ‘Build A Plan’ option allows you to choose the precise locations at a $1 per server rate.
So, if you’re in Pennsylvania, you might choose a handful of locations in nearby states.
Windscribe supports multiple protocols, including OpenVPN, IKEv2, and WireGuard. Plus, you can block ads, trackers, and malware with its R.O.B.E.R.T add-on.
Other features include:
- Static IP – It allows you to have a fixed IP address for your chosen location.
- Split Tunneling – Select which apps use the VPNs and which don’t.
- Double Hop – Route your traffic through two servers, not just one.
- Time Warp – Syncs your time zone with that of the server.
Apps are available for desktop and mobile devices.
WindscribeBuild the best payment plan for yourself and enjoy the services of this excellent VPN service.
ExpressVPN is one of the best overall providers. It offers some good alternatives to a VPN for Pittsburgh, even though it doesn’t have a server in Pennsylvania.
If all you’re looking for is speed, then neighboring states like New York and New Jersey are fully covered. They’re comparable to, if not faster, PIA’s Pennsylvania server.
Although it only supports five simultaneous connections, it has unlimited bandwidth and data while regularly coming out on top as the fastest VPN.
That means online gaming, streaming Netflix, and P2P file sharing without a problem.
Its top features include:
- Leading Encryption – AES (Advanced Encryption Standard) with 256-bit keys, which is the same encryption used by the US military.
- Versatile implementation – It has seven protocols and apps for all devices.
- Advanced Leak Protection – The number one VPN for preventing IP, DNS, and WebRTC leaks, above and beyond the standard kill switch feature.
- Free Trial – You can try the software for seven days on mobile and enjoy a risk-free 30-day-money-back guarantee.
You can subscribe to ExpressVPN for $12.95/mo. Furthermore, if you commit to six months, the price goes down to $9.99/mo, while if you opt for the yearly subscription, it’s $8.32/mo.
ExpressVPNYou can rely on this provider for extra security and Internet speeds wherever you are.
NordVPN is another provider that doesn’t have servers directly in Pennsylvania but still has the speed and features that could benefit those in Pittsburgh.
The closest and most reliable servers are in Washington, DC and New York. Since they change from time to time, the map feature is useful for picking a server close to Pittsburgh.
In total, there are more than 5,600 locations in 59 countries.
NordVPN has fast speeds and is excellent for bypassing geo-restrictions. It also offers a ‘Smart Play’ feature which automatically performs the most beneficial DNS routing for the specific streaming platform you want to use.
There are also lots of extra security add-ons, including:
- Threat Protection – Real-time prevention against viruses, malware, web trackers, and phishing sites.
- Dark Web Monitor – Scans the dark web for your information to prevent fraud and hacking.
- Meshnet – Allows you to connect to remote devices over an encrypted private tunnel.
- Multihop – Run your traffic through two separate servers for an extra layer of privacy.
NordVPN has monthly, yearly, and two-year plans, and you can pay extra for a password manager and encrypted cloud storage.
The standard monthly subscription is $11.99, but if you commit for a longer period or shop the seasonal sales, you can get it for way less.
NordVPNStream your favorite content from anywhere at excellent speeds with these top-notch VPN services.
Surfshark VPN gets a nod because it has several fast servers in New York and Virginia, which are geographically close to Pennsylvania and work well for users in Pittsburgh.
The VPN can be configured via OpenVPN or WireGuard, and there’s an automatic kill switch to stop Internet traffic if you disconnect from the VPN.
Other useful features include:
- Speed Test – It’s a convenient way to test your current VPN connection.
- Rotating IP – This feature constantly rotates your IP address to prevent tracking while you stay on the server of your choice.
- Bypasser – This is Surfshark’s version of split tunneling. It allows some apps a regular connection to your ISP.
Surfshark also comes with some impressive extras, including a full antivirus scanner, personal data breach monitor, and a private Internet search engine.
The software’s regular price is $12.95/mo; $3.99/mo if you commit to the year, or $2.49/mo if you subscribe for two years.
SurfsharkIf you’re looking for a well-rounded VPN solution, you can’t go wrong with Surfshark.
If you need a VPN for Pittsburgh to bypass geo-blocking or other purposes, PIA currently offers the best solution via its server in Pennsylvania.
However, many great VPN providers, with locations on the East coast and Northeast, deliver excellent speeds and features.
Compare their perks and choose the one that best suits your needs.