A VPN, short for Virtual Private Network is the best-known technology that secures online activities.
First and foremost, a good VPN service must be trustworthy and guarantee that the user’s private data is not shared with third-parties.
One popular VPN service is Singapore-based Turbo VPN. From various points of view, this VPN is efficient in terms of performance and usability, but despite its popularity, many users claim that sometimes, their Turbo VPN is not working.
As frustrating as it may look like, the error can easily be fixed if you follow our step by step guide detailed below. But first, here’s what you need to know about Turbo VPN.
A few words about Turbo VPN
According to Google Play, the app has more than 100M downloads. It is available for Windows, Mac, Android or iOS, and comes with 24/7 customer support and 4 monthly paid plans, starting from 4.17 $.
Turbo VPN gives you access to servers across Europe, North and South America, Asia Pacific and Middle East and offers the following features:
- Hide your location and IP. You can access websites anonymously and enjoy your favorite content even in geo-blocked locations.
- Unlimited video streaming. You can benefit from unlimited video streaming with no location restrictions.
- Enhance gaming experience. You can reduce ping time and improve lag when gaming and at the same time, bypass geo-blocking by replacing your IP address with a new one located in a different region.
- Secure Public Wi-Fi connection. Your public IP, search history and internet browsing are hidden.
- Data Encryption. Turbo VPN offers strong encryption and IPSec, OpenVPN protocols.
- Kill Switch Protection. Additional privacy feature that helps you detect changes in your connection status (like your public IP address) and stops the internet access when they occur.
If you are one of the unlucky users whose Turbo VPN is not working, read on so you can learn about some possible reasons behind this problem and get back to what you were doing in no time.
How to fix Turbo VPN not working error
1. Check your Internet connection
The network shows up in your Wi-Fi menu, you entered the right password, but when you open your browser to search for your favorite content, nothing happens and the website is not loading.
If your Wi-Fi is not working, check whether your device is connected to the correct access point.
2. Check your login credentials
Even if this is such an overlooked detail, do check if the credentials provided by Turbo VPN have changed or your password needs to be updated.
Provide the connection details for your VPN, by entering any name you like under Connection Name. This name is just used on your computer to help you identify the VPN connection.
Your VPN provider should be able to give you these details that you’ll need to connect.
3. Try a different VPN server
Switching to a different server is a feature that is included in most of the VPN services available on the market. Without this feature, the VPN would randomly assign servers to you and you wouldn’t be able to choose the location that you want.
Sometimes, the one that you are trying to connect to may be down or too busy to accept new connections, so trying a different server can help you when your Turbo VPN is not working.
4. Restart Turbo VPN and clear your browser cache
Another thing you can do when Turbo VPN is not working, is to delete the browser’s cache and cookies. This can be helpful if the history files are corrupted and preventing you from accessing the website.
When you open a website, your browser starts catching the source files, which include fonts, scripts, style sheets, images, or other temporary files, and as a result, your browser may not run as efficiently as it should.
For this reason and especially as a security measure, deleting your browsing history is highly indicated.
To delete your browsing history on Chrome, follow these steps:
- Open Chrome on your computer.
- In the right corner of the address bar, click on More icon.
- Click on History.
- On History page, click on Clear browsing data option.
- Select the time range. To delete the entire browsing history, select All time.
- Click on the Browsing history, Cookies and other site data, and Cached images and files checkboxes.
5. Update your browser to the latest version to prevent common issues
To update Google Chrome follow these steps:
- In Chrome browser, click on More icon
- Select Help -> About Google Chrome from the drop-down list
- Google Chrome automatically checks for an update and downloads them.
6. Install the latest Turbo VPN version
By doing so, you maximize the VPN’s performance and you avoid bugs.
Access the official Turbo VP website and install the latest software package for the corresponding operating system of your device.
Note to first uninstall the old version of your VPN.
7. Change the VPN tunneling protocol
The VPN tunneling protocol is a set of rules for data transmission and encryption. The VPN tunneling protocol that you select has significant impact on the quality and performance of your tunnel.
Try using different protocols: OpenVPN, L2TP/IPSec or IKeV2/IPSec.
8. Use a different connection port
A port is like a gateway to the Internet and every device uses them, so that different applications can establish connections in the same time.
If you access a website, download content and use a printer at the same time, different ports are used. While an IP address is attached to a device, port numbers correspond to different processes and connections within that device.
Sometimes, Internet Service Providers (ISP) and networks block traffic on some ports, so you need to take a look at Turbo VPN’s documentation to see if there are any recommendations for a specific port number.
9. Check your router settings
Routers provide a configuration interface (admin panel) that you can access by following the next steps:
- Access Network Settings -> Wi-Fi Settings
- Under Enable Wi-Fi network, enter the new Wi-Fi name and password that you want to use for your Turbo VPN -> click Save
- To change Turbo VPN router admin password, select Advanced Settings -> Router Settings in the sidebar. Enter the password and click Save
- Reset your router
10. Contact Turbo VPN by emailing them
Unfortunately, their email link from the Help section was unresponsive when we created this guide, so we highly suggest you to check it before installing the VPN.
Since they highlight the 24/7 support, not being able to connect them is a major drawback of this VPN service.
How to fix Connection Timeout. Please retry error on your phone
1. Check your network connectivity
You probably use VPN to prevent bandwidth throttling.
If your Internet Service Provider (ISP) does not invest the money in expanding or improving its services and infrastructure, it could intentionally slow down traffic during rush hour, based on your location.
But note that your internet connectivity speed is not enough to connect to different servers.
You can try out some of these methods:
- Reconnect to your network. Turn on and off your Wi-Fi or go all the way, by turning on and off airplane mode.
- Try to go to other spots where you get better connectivity
- Wait for some minutes and try to connect again when connectivity is reliable again
2. Clear Turbo VPN cache files
There might be times when stored cache files prevent you from connecting your VPN. Here’s how you can do that:
- Go to your phone Settings
- Search then select the Apps option
- Click on Manage Apps
- Scroll down until you find Turbo VPN then click on it
- Select Clear data at the bottom of the screen
- Choose Clear data to restart the app completely or Clear cache to only delete the cache files. We recommend that you first clear the cache files and if it does not work, select Clear all data
- Click OK button to complete the process and clear all the cache files
3. Update Turbo VPN app
Regular updates are important to ensure that the Turbo VPN app has the latest functionality and security upgrades.
To update Turbo VPN to the newest version, follow the next steps:
- Go to Google Play and search for Turbo VPN app
- Click Update button
- Restart your phone
Bottom line would be that when nothing works, another VPN service provider may be a wiser choice.
Other VPN providers have extensive server networks that include thousands of servers in hundreds of locations and you also benefit from better features and reliable support.
Turbo VPN is a great choice for the 7 days trial version, if you are traveling for example and want to find a quick and easy way to stay protected when you surf online.