Read the affiliate disclosure page to find out how can you help VPNCentral effortlessly and without spending any money. Read more
Runescape high ping and lag spikes are some of the most common issues in the game. These cause lower FPS, interruptions, and other issues, so it’s natural you would want to reduce ping.
The game has millions of players from all around the world. However, like most online games, it also has its issues that the developers are striving to fix.
Browse the web from multiple devices with industry-standard security protocols.
70% of our readers choose ExpressVPN
70% of our readers choose ExpressVPN
Access content across the globe at the highest speed rate.
Connect to thousands of servers for persistent seamless browsing.
Most of the time, high ping is caused by network issues and is not a problem in the game itself.
We’ll take a closer look at what’s causing Runescape’s high ping and lag spikes and provide easy and effective solutions to get rid of these issues.
Why is my ping so high in RuneScape?
There are several possible culprits that can cause high ping in RuneScape, either coming from an internal problem within the game’s servers or configuration, or problems on the gamer’s part.
Some of the most common problems that lead to high ping in Runescape include:
- The distance that separates your location from the game server – ping will be higher if you are physically positioned away from the game server than if you are not.
- Wireless connections can lead to an increase in latency, lags, and a wide variety of other performance concerns linked to networks, trying a wired network might help
- Background apps in the background – could substantially impact your computer’s performance, particularly if the program utilizes a significant amount of bandwidth
- Interfering apps There are some apps such as antivirus which are always on without the computer user’s interference so that app will need to disable them or check their settings for better performance
- Connection fluctuating It’s possible that your internet service provider does not route traffic in the most efficient way feasible for gaming, which can happen with many different internet service providers, even the popular and strongest ones
Why am I getting a lot of lag spikes in Runescape?
Your computer may be having trouble producing enough frames per second because either your graphics card or its driver is outdated or because the hardware it’s using doesn’t satisfy the game’s requirements.
The game requires at least 2GB of RAM.
You may need to adjust some of your game’s settings to get the most out of your playing time if your hardware does not meet the game’s requirements or standards.
If you are playing on a desktop computer with a display separate from the main screen, you may experience input lag.
In that case, you should consider switching to a monitor, as the refresh rate on a monitor is typically much higher than that of a TV, which should improve your overall experience.
How do I fix my ping and lag on RuneScape?
Below are a few tested solutions to fix lags and ping issues in Runescape gameplay.
1. Make use of a VPN
You can use a virtual private network to get a stronger connection. Employing a VPN for RuneScape will improve your gaming performance by regulating and minimizing your ping.
We recommend Private Internet Access (PIA) because it offers unlimited bandwidth and a huge network of over 35 000 servers, so you’ll surely find several fast options for RuneScape.
With the help of a VPN, you can connect to servers that are closer in location to RunesScape’s servers. This can lead to better Internet speed and a decrease in latency.
PIA is also the best to use for online gaming such as RuneScape as it does not lag and it also blocks all sorts of in-game cyber attacks. To connect PIA with your game all you have to do is to:
- Sign up for your plan and download PIA VPN.
- Install the app and connect to a VPN server. Click on the power button for auto-connect or on the VPN Server to manually pick your location.
- Open RuneScape and enjoy lag-free gaming!
Private Internet AccessEnjoy uninterrupted gaming in RuneScape with access to thousands of secure VPN servers!
2. Control the CPU Usage
Sometimes, the game requires higher than average CPU utilization, but the computer is already taking up most of the memory, so game performance issues are certain to develop.
- Launch RuneScape.
- Navigate to the Extra tab.
- Check the boxes next to Low-CPU Usage and Disable Canvas.
3. Disable Vsync to Reduce CPU Usage
Disable Vsync in the settings for the graphics card. Open the settings panel of your specific graphics card driver and make sure to disable the Vsync option.
Vsync is a feature that will drop your frame rate by up to half, depending on how closely it synchronizes the game’s frames per second with the refresh rate of your monitor.
There is a chance that your display is malfunctioning; if this is the case, you will notice the same performance issues across all of the games you play, and you will need to contact the manufacturer of your monitor.
4. Turn off all background apps
- On your PC, type Ctrl+Alt+Del and open the Task Manager.
- Take a look at the Apps and Background Processes section.
- Select any unnecessary apps/processes and pick End Task.
Sometimes the protective shield provided by the antivirus software on your computer negatively impacts your computer’s performance. Either temporarily disable it or whitelist RuneScape as a trusted app.
If your antivirus is slowing down your PC, consider using a lightweight antivirus software alternative.
Your streaming app might also be on without you knowing, so you should strive always to turn it off to avoid lagging.
So it would be best if you always tried to turn off any other third-party app you might have turned on on your computer.
5. Flush your DNS
- On your PC, type cmd in the taskbar and open the Command Prompt.
- Type the following command and press enter:
- Wait for the process to complete and try reopening the game.
Runescape high ping & lag spikes can be caused by accumulated data within your DNS. Flushing your DNS removes unnecessary clutter and can improve Internet speed.
Ping is a very common term in online gaming. Most gamers already know what this means.
However, for further clarification, ping is referred to as the amount of time measured in milliseconds that it takes for your computer to send a short packet of information and then get it back from a server.
High ping has been a problem in RuneScape which is why we created this step-by-step guide for you to know how to fix the high spike rate and play your game without lagging.
While it is easy to apply any of the solutions to your game, you should make sure that you use the appropriate solution to your game issue.
If you have memory problems, probably your best bet is to increase is by adding extra RAM memory to your device. The minimal requirement for RuneScape is 2GB.
For any more questions, feel free to use the comment section below.