Read the affiliate disclosure page to find out how can you help VPNCentral effortlessly and without spending any money. Read more
As someone who has set up Chinese TV for friends after moving from Beijing to London, I understand how difficult it can be to access your favorite shows abroad.
With the right devices and services, you can enjoy live Chinese TV from anywhere in the UK.
Browse the web from multiple devices with industry-standard security protocols.
70% of our readers choose ExpressVPN
70% of our readers choose ExpressVPN
Access content across the globe at the highest speed rate.
Connect to thousands of servers for persistent seamless browsing.
I’ll walk you through the best methods I’ve used to watch TVB, Hunan TV, Dragon TV, and other top channels.
Use a VPN to access China-based streaming sites
The easiest way to watch Chinese TV in the UK is by using a VPN to access China-based streaming platforms.
- Sign up for a reliable VPN service like ExpressVPN or NordVPN. I recommend these options because I have used them myself when traveling in the UK and found they provide fast, reliable access to China-based streaming platforms. They also offer beginner-friendly apps.
- Download the VPN app on your device like a smartphone, laptop, or smart TV. Apps are available for iOS, Android, Mac, Windows, and Linux.
- Choose a server located in China. The major cities with VPN servers include Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, and Chengdu. Connect your device to the Chinese VPN server.
- This will reroute your internet traffic and IP address through China. As a result, streaming sites will be tricked into thinking you’re accessing them from within the country.
- Go to a popular site like PPTV, iQIYI, Youku, or Sohu TV and create a free account. Provide your email and a password.
- Enjoy watching live Chinese TV through the streaming site.
The main benefit of using a China VPN server is you can watch unlimited Chinese TV just like a local viewer.
Subscribe to a Chinese satellite TV package
Another option is subscribing directly to a Chinese satellite TV provider based in Europe. Some popular choices are:
- SkyLife – Get a satellite dish installed at your UK home to access over 30 Chinese channels from SkyLife’s lineup. This includes CCTV, Phoenix, Channel Zero, etc. Packages start at around £400 per year.
- TVB – TVB offers specific packages for Europe, providing live Cantonese channels through an annual satellite subscription. Prices start at around £300 per year. Content caters to Cantonese speakers.
- Phoenix Chinese TV – Provides many Chinese language channels through online streaming or via an Android box. Streaming plans start from £10 per month. Satellite dishes can also be purchased.
- Star Chinese TV – Features Mandarin channels from mainland China, Taiwan, and Southeast Asia. Packages are around £350 per year, dish kit installation included.
While pricier than VPN streaming, direct satellite TV gives you dedicated access to tons of Chinese content right from home. You can also record shows. But annual contracts are required.
Use free streaming apps and websites
If you want to watch Chinese TV for free, try these apps and streaming sites:
- TVer – Free mobile app providing live Mandarin and Cantonese shows, dramas, and news. Available on iOS, Android, and certain smart TV app stores.
- 71TV – Website offering a range of free Chinese channels to stream through web browser. Provides CCTV, Taiwanese, and Hong Kong stations.
- Toonmax TV – App providing primarily Cantonese programming, including TVB shows. Also streams top radio stations from Hong Kong.
- TVMost – Android app for streaming many top Chinese TV channels for free on a smart TV or mobile device. Scheduling allows recording.
- Laveradio – Website streaming dozens of free Hong Kong radio stations covering news, music, and talk shows.
- Panda TV – Android app offering free live Mandarin TV channels from China, Taiwan, and other Asian regions.
The video quality is sometimes limited, but these free options can supplement your access to Chinese programming from the UK. Easy to test them out before paying for premium services.
ExpressVPNEasily unblock Chinese TV in the UK and enjoy your favorite programs from back home with ExpressVPN.
As an expat who regularly watches Chinese TV, I have tested out all the methods in this guide.
By following the steps above, you can gain easy access to Chinese channels from anywhere in Britain. Let me know if you have any other questions!
How can I watch Chinese TV in the UK for free?
You can watch free Chinese TV in the UK using apps like TVer, 71TV, Toonmax TV, TVMost, and Panda TV. These provide live streams of top Hong Kong, Taiwanese, and mainland Chinese channels. The video quality varies but it’s an easy free option.
Does Sky TV offer Chinese channels?
No, regular Sky TV does not include Chinese channels in its channel lineup. However, you can add dedicated Chinese TV packages from providers like SkyLife or Star China TV by installing a satellite dish and signing up for an annual plan.
Can I watch CCTV TV programmes in the UK?
Yes, CCTV channels are available in the UK. You can watch them live by using a VPN to access China-based streaming sites like iQiyi. CCTV is also included in satellite TV packages from SkyLife and other Chinese providers offered in the UK.
Does TVB offer an English-language channel?
TVB does not currently offer a dedicated English-language channel. However, some of its live Cantonese shows do offer English subtitles. An easier option is using a VPN to watch TVB shows on the myTV SUPER streaming site with English subtitles.
How do I watch Phoenix Chinese channel in the UK?
Phoenix Chinese News is accessible in the UK via the Phoenix Chinese TV streaming service or satellite subscription. Use its Android box, or install a satellite dish paired with an annual package to watch Phoenix news and other channels.
Let me know if you have any other questions! I’m happy to help explain the best way to watch your favorite Chinese channels in the UK.