Samsung Smart TVs are great TV devices that allow you to enjoy plenty of useful apps and good quality online content in the same way as you would enjoy them on your smartphone or PC.
They come with an intelligent menu system called Smart Hub through which users like you can have access to all the functions offered by these TVs as well as download apps, games and browse the Internet.
However, Samsung Smart TVs have different apps available depending on the region where they are sold. For example, if you bought your TV from outside the US, you won’t have access to the apps that are specifically available for the US market.
Fortunately, there is a way around this if you want to access apps from other regions, but this will only help you solve a part of the issue. For example, you can change the region of your Samsung Smart TV by using the settings.
Nonetheless, although you will be able to install the apps from the new region, you won’t be allowed to use them – especially when it comes to streaming services – since you will be geo-blocked. As such, only changing the region alone won’t be of great help.
In addition, you will need to find a way to bypass these geo-restrictions. This can be done with the use of a smart DNS or VPN service. All you need to do is take a look at how you can first change your region, and then you’ll find how you can use a Smart DNS or VPN as well.
How can I change the region on my Samsung Smart TV?
Depending on your Samsung Smart TV series, you can change your region as shown in the examples below. Just follow the steps in the solutions presented and you should be good to go.
Change region on a Samsung Smart Hub
- Press the Smart Hub button on the remote control.
- After Smart Hub has loaded, press 2, 8, 9, then (fast forward, 2, 8, 9, rewind).
- Under Internet Service Location Setup, choose the country of your choice. Beware that you can only have apps from one region installed at a time. In other words, you can’t have US and Canada applications installed concurrently.
- Select Next.
- Agree to the Terms of Service Agreement.
- Select OK to start the update. After the update, your old applications will be removed and default ones for the new region will be installed. After Smart Hub is rebooted, you can install applications from the new region.
- Restart your Samsung Smart TV.
Change region on Samsung Smart TV F-Series and J-Series
- Press the Source button on your remote control.
- Select TV Source.
- Press the Menu button on the remote.
- Choose Setup (if you are allowed to choose Setup, go to step 10; otherwise, go to Support).
- Select Self Diagnosis.
- Select Reset.
- Enter the PIN code. It is 0000 (four zeros) by default unless you changed it.
- Select Yes to return to factory defaults.
- After the reset, your TV will restart, and then you’ll be able to continue with the setup.
- Select your Language.
- Set the Country as Others.
- Select Scan. You’ll be able to stop it later.
- Press the following on your remote consecutively: mute, return, volume+, channel up, mute.
- Scroll down the list and select the country (e.g. USA, Canada, Mexico, UK, etc.).
- Agree to the Supplemental Privacy Notices and select Next.
- Select a service provider or Skip it for later.
- Once setup is complete, select OK and restart your Samsung Smart TV.
- Enjoy using your favorite apps and services from the new country.
Change region on Samsung Smart TV K-Series
- Press the Settings button from your remote control.
- Go to Support and select Self Diagnosis.
- Select Reset Smart Hub, which will reset your Smart Hub and Samsung account settings to factory defaults.
- Enter the PIN (0000 unless you changed it) and select OK.
- Wait for the reset to complete. Do not turn off the TV until you get the Reset complete.
- Once the reset is finished, select System from settings, then select Start Setup. Enter the PIN and select OK.
- Select your preferred language.
- Select your Wireless Connection.
- Your Smart TV will check the connection and try to connect to the internet.
- Press 2, 8, 9 on the traditional remote, not the smart one.
- Choose your country of choice.
How can I access geo-blocked content on my Samsung Smart TV?
Even though you managed to change the region for your Samsung Smart TV in order to be able to install apps that were unavailable in your previous region, you’ll still have to deal with geo-blocking.
For example, you’ll notice that most content belonging to various streaming services that can be accessed via the apps you installed, will be geo-restricted.
Unfortunately, it’s not enough to just change the region. It’s useless to have the apps installed on your Samsung Smart TV and not be able to enjoy the content provided through them.
Therefore, you can use a Smart DNS or a VPN service in order to bypass geo-blocking. You can easily configure your Samsung Smart TV to use a Smart DNS by changing the settings on your TV console.
On the other hand, if you want to use a VPN with your Samsung Smart TV, you will need to set up the VPN on your router first and then connect your TV to it.
Configure a Smart DNS on your Samsung Smart TV
- Press the Menu button on your Samsung remote.
- Select Network.
- Select Network Status.
- Select IP Settings.
- Scroll down to DNS Settings.
- Switch your DNS Settings to Enter Manually.
- Scroll down to DNS server.
- Enter the DNS server address provided by your Smart DNS service.
- Select OK.
- Restart your Samsung Smart TV.
Set up a VPN service on your router
Of course, you can also use a VPN service in order to bypass geo-restrictions while trying to access content from the apps installed on your Samsung Smart TV.
Depending on the router model as well as the VPN service provider you choose, you can set up the VPN on your router by following the instructions in the corresponding guides.
The process itself is not hard as long as you follow carefully all the steps. In order to benefit from the best performance, we recommend that you get a reliable and well-reputed VPN like Private Internet Access or NordVPN, the latter offering a comprehensive guide on how you can configure it on your router.
A good VPN service not only will it allow you to circumvent geo-blocking, but will also ensure the protection of all devices connected to the router you used. When you’re connected to the internet and utilize a VPN, all your traffic is anonymized and your sensitive data is secured via strong encryption.
All things considered, we do hope that after following the steps presented above, you will manage to change the region of your Samsung Smart TV regardless of the model/series you own.
While you will be able to use some apps that are available for the new region to the full extent, you’ll also need to get around geo-blocking in the case of many others, particularly popular streaming services.
Consequently, after successfully changing your Samsung Smart TV region, you need to make sure that you find a way to circumvent any potential geo-blocks. So, that’s why we provided you the options of using a Smart DNS or a VPN.
With any of these services, you’ll be able to enjoy any type of content via your Samsung Smart TV apps without any limitations.