Read the affiliate disclosure page to find out how can you help VPNCentral effortlessly and without spending any money. Read more
Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) are services that allow users in different networks to share data. A VPN creates a secure tunnel across the Internet between the users. VPNs encrypt data to ensure privacy.
These are great tools to secure privacy and protect sensitive data. However, you can encounter problems when you are using VPNs.
Browse the web from multiple devices with industry-standard security protocols.
70% of our readers choose ExpressVPN
70% of our readers choose ExpressVPN
Access content across the globe at the highest speed rate.
Connect to thousands of servers for persistent seamless browsing.
One of them is that all TAP-Windows adapters are currently in use. Read this article to get the fixes for this issue.
Use a reliable VPN to avoid such problems from happening in the first place. We recommend ExpressVPN as it is frequently updated to avoid bugs and errors.
The VPN service uses military-grade encryption and offers unlimited bandwidth and advanced privacy features. It has 3000+ servers around the globe to bypass online censorship.
ExpressVPNAvoid TAP-adapter problems by connecting to one of the best VPNs on the market.
What is the all TAP-Windows adapters on this system are currently in use error?
The “All TAP-Windows Adapters Are Currently in Use” error is a system network glitch that prevents your VPN from connecting. This mostly happens when the TAP-Windows adapter is already in use. Double-check to ensure you don’t have another VPN running. Or else reinstall/upgrade the drivers to fix any underlying issues.
How do you fix all TAP-Windows adapters on this system are currently in use?
How do I enable the TAP adapter in Windows 10 is a common question for a lot of Windows users that claim that sometimes this might be confusing.
After installing a VPN client, the TAP Adapter often shows up in Device Manager or in Network Connections and is utilized as an alias by the majority of VPN services to access the Internet privately.
Depending on how you actually installed your VPN client software you might be facing this issue while adding an additional client configuration for another connection.
Thus you might see the error message OpenVpn all TAP-Windows adapters on this system are currently in use. Fret not and follow the steps below to resolve it in a couple of minutes.
1. Disable and re-enable the TAP adapter
- Open Control Panel and go to Network and sharing center.
- Now, click on Change adapter settings.
- Find the one that says TAP-Windows adapter.
- Right-click on it and select Disable.
- Right-click on it again, but this time select Enable.
- Restart your VPN application and that’s it.
2. Update your TAP adapter drivers
- Open Device Manager.
- Find the Network Adapters section.
- Expand the list and select your TAP adapter.
- Right-click on it and select Update.
3. Reinstall TAP Windows adapter
- In Windows, right-click the Start button, select Device Manager and go to Network adapters.
- Find the TAP Windows adapter, right-click on it and click Uninstall device.
- Restart your VPN application. When it starts, it should prompt you to download and install the driver for TAP Windows adapter.
- Reinstall and the problem should be solved.
We know how important privacy and security are on the Internet. So follow our recommendation and get the best VPN solution. Download PIA VPN and don’t worry about your security anymore.
These are the fixes for all tap windows adapters are currently in use error message. Try them and let us know in the comment section which worked for you.
If you need support for Windows 7 OpenVPN Tap driver issues, check our guide on how to fix the driver unsigned error.