Read the affiliate disclosure page to find out how can you help VPNCentral effortlessly and without spending any money. Read more
ExpressVPN can help you watch regional and local channels on YouTube TV that would otherwise be restricted.
However, this provider doesn’t have a 100% success rate.
Access content across the globe at the highest speed rate.
70% of our readers choose Private Internet Access
70% of our readers choose ExpressVPN
Browse the web from multiple devices with industry-standard security protocols.
Connect to thousands of servers for persistent seamless browsing.
So, why does ExpressVPN fail sometimes, and what can you do about it? Let’s find out!
Why is ExpressVPN not working with YouTube TV?
Here are the possible reasons why the service can’t unblock restricted content:
- Stored cookies – That is data web servers keep to identify the devices that have previously communicated with them. Often, cookies contain information about your location, which YouTube TV considers true, and if it detects something amiss, it’ll block your connection.
- IP blacklisting – YouTube TV doesn’t like its users to access content with the help of a VPN. If it sniffs that your IP is linked to ExpressVPN one way or another, it will blacklist it and prevent you from streaming.
- Traffic data leakage – The VPN may fail to hide your IP and DNS requests, and therefore, it won’t be able to bypass YouTube TV’s regional blackouts. When using a browser, you can also suffer WebRTC leaks, which can expose your real IP.
- Outdated app version – Software updates are a must. If you’re using an old iteration of the ExpressVPN app, a bug could result in an IP leak.
How to fix the ExpressVPN not working with YouTube TV issue?
Here are some ideas on what to do when you face such problems:
1. Clear cookies
To rule out browser cookies as a cause for concern, follow these steps for Chrome:
- Launch Chrome.
- Hit Ctrl + H to go to History.
- Choose Clear browsing data.
- Leave only the Cookies and other site data and Cached images and files boxes checked.
- Click Clear data.
2. Change servers
Here’s what you can do when YouTube TV has blocked the ExpressVPN server you’re connected to:
- Click the hamburger icon for Settings.
- Go to VPN Locations.
- Pick another US server location that can circumvent YouTube TV’s geo-restriction.
- Start streaming.
3. Prevent IP, DNS, and WebRTC leaks
With ExpressVPN for Windows, you can determine whether your app is leaky by going to Settings > Help & Support > IP Address Checker, DNS Leak Test, or WebRTC Leak Test.
To reduce the chances of IP leakage, you can do the following:
- Click the hamburger icon for Settings.
- Go to Options.
- Make sure the Network Lock box in the General tab is checked.
- Check whether the IPv6 Leak Protection box in the Advanced tab is checked.
- Click the hamburger icon again, as in step 1.
- Go to Help & Support and choose About ExpressVPN to verify if your app is updated.
- Run IP, DNS, and WebRTC checks in-app to make sure ExpressVPN is hiding your real IP and DNS queries.
ExpressVPN still not working with YouTube TV?
If all else fails, it’s time to pick a different VPN provider. Our top recommendations are below.
PIA is an excellent VPN for streaming YouTube TV due to its strong focus on the US. It has servers in 53 US locations, so you won’t run out of options.
Moreover, this VPN offers 10Gbps server connectivity. That means you can stream with minimal speed loss even though your traffic is encrypted.
Thanks to PIA’s router support, you can mask your real IP no matter the device you prefer to use. It’s good news when there’s no native app for your system.
On top of that, installing this VPN on your router helps get around its limit of ten simultaneous connections.
If you don’t want to share IPs with other users, you can purchase dedicated ones at an additional cost.
Furthermore, you’ll have access to fast, secure OpenVPN and WireGuard tunneling protocols and proxy servers like SOCKS5.
PIA has proven its no-logs policy is as good as advertised, and its RAM-only servers ensure that data stored on its hardware gets erased after every reboot.
The monthly fee ranges from $3.33 to $11.95, depending on the length of your subscription. You can receive your cash back if you cancel within 30 days from the date of purchase.
Private Internet AccessYou’ll never miss your show again because of geo-restrictions with this top-notch VPN.
CyberGhost is one of the best ExpressVPN alternatives because it has hardware optimized for YouTube TV.
Additionally, 14% of its VPN servers provide IPs registered in 11 US cities.
By default, CyberGhost gives shared IPs, but you can pay extra for US-based dedicated IPs to avoid getting blacklisted because of other users’ faults.
CyberGhost has a no-logs policy to deliver unquestionable privacy, and its so-called NoSpy servers are housed and managed in-house in its Romania HQ.
In terms of protocols, it supports OpenVPN, IKEv2, and WireGuard. Its feature set includes DNS and IP leak protection and a kill switch.
Plus, CyberGhost’s free Chrome browser extension lets you connect to US servers. You can’t choose a city, but you can get a fresh IP by simply disconnecting from and reconnecting to it.
For only $4.75 to $12.99/month, a CyberGhost subscription gives you seven simultaneous device connections and a 45-day money-back guarantee.
CyberGhostWatch all YouTube TV content at HD quality with CyberGhost.
NordVPN has RAM-only 10Gbps servers in 15 US cities, and all support OpenVPN, IKEv2/IPSec, and NordLynx.
Another great advantage is its specialty servers. To ensure extra privacy, it has hardware optimized for double VPN, obfuscation, and Onion over VPN.
Likewise, it has IPv6 leak protection, a kill switch, and dedicated IPs.
NordVPN has dedicated apps for major desktop and mobile systems. With its router support, you can extend its utility to other electronics and get around its six simultaneous device connections cap.
Like other reliable VPNs, NordVPN runs its private DNS, but it lets you use a third-party DNS server if you like.
A NordVPN subscription will set you back between $5.61 and $14.29/month. You can get a 15% discount if you’re a qualified student or apprentice.
If you think it doesn’t live up to its name, you can discontinue the service within 30 days and get a refund.
NordVPNGeo-blocks will be a thing of the past with this premium VPN service.
It’s a shame that even the most trusted streaming VPNs could fail when least expected.
But with several effective fixes and robust alternatives at your disposal, you don’t have to miss your shows when ExpressVPN is not working with YouTube TV.
Let us know which solution worked best for you in the comments below!