VPNs have come to be an integral part of many companies and individual virtual workspaces, so it can be really frustrating when a VPN solution does not function properly after an update.
If you realize that your GlobalProtect VPN is no longer working after a system update, you are not alone. This is a rather common error, and fortunately not a very complicated one.
This could expose the company or individual to privacy invasion. Hackers develop more and more sneaky ways to get access to private data and use it against you afterward.
Why is GlobalProtectVPN not connecting?
If your VPN does not longer work as it should, the most common reason is, of course, a faulty Internet connection. Don’t overlook this and make sure to check.
With that aside, there are other possible things to prompt errors in GlobalProtect VPN, such as:
- Incompatible Internet settings
- Other apps on your system are interfering with GlobalProtect VPN
- Your router’s Firewall is blocking GlobalProtect
- A system update changed your connection preferences
- GlobalProtect servers are down
It’s possible that an updated operating system will reset some Internet preferences to default or install new apps that interfere with your VPN.
The most common errors users report when using Global Protect include:
- GlobalProtect VPN is stuck on connecting
- GlobalProtect VPN freezes
- GlobalProtect connection fails inexplicably
Taking a look at your settings will help you identify the culprit and fix the error.
The network connection could also be the reason for VPN failure. There are steps to follow to fix GlobalProtect VPN when the network connection fails.
This guide is going to focus on the Windows operating system. This is because a vast majority of the population in the world uses the Windows operating system.
How to fix GlobalProtect VPN not opening?
If GlobalProtect is stuck on connecting after an update, the most plausible culprit is your Internet connection. It’s also possible that the updated version interferes with outdated software, especially if you use the browser extension on an outdated browser.
- Reboot your modem or router
- Flush DNS
- Try a different VPN
- Deactivate the router’s Firewall
- Upgrade the router’s firmware
- Troubleshoot GlobalProtect on your PC
- Update the GlobalProtect app
1. Reboot your modem or router
The Internet is like a powerhouse for a VPN solution. Without it, the VPN is useless and needless. It is recommended to troubleshoot your Internet connection first when you observe a fault with your VPN.
- Unplug the router and/or the modem.
- Wait 30 seconds to give the device time to cool down. During this time, your PC or mobile detects that the router and/or modem are offline.
- Plug in the modem and start by pressing the power button if it does not boot immediately.
- Wait for the modem to authenticate with your ISP and get assigned a public IP address. This will take a few minutes.
- Plug in the router and allow it at least 2 minutes to boot.
This should fix the GlobalProtect not working issue. Rebooting your router/modem gives it a chance to cool down and reconfigure. If it’s been on for a long time, the connection can get buggy.
2. Flush DNS
- To flush out DNS, press start and type cmd in the start menu search bar, and press Enter.
- Type ipconfg/flushdns in the command prompt and press enter.
3. Try a different VPN
If GlobalProtect VPN is still not working and keeps causing trouble, consider using a different VPN solution. A reputable VPN with good apps for mobile and desktop alike is Private Internet Access (PIA).
It’s easy to use and implements many security features to protect your mobile traffic data. This makes it a good replacement for GlobalProtectVPN.
PIA has over 35 000 high-speed VPN servers across the whole globe. You get unrestricted access to each and every single one of them, plus unlimited bandwidth, split tunneling, as well as a security killswitch.
Private Internet AccessSecure your mobile devices with industry-standard VPN technologies for iOs and Android!
4. Deactivate the Router’s Firewall
Your Firewall may be blocking your VPN connection because it can mistake it for a security threat. Changing up your settings should help you regain
- Go to your router’s Settings
- On the Menu, search for words like Firewall, Packet, or Filter. Different routers use different names. Here’s an example of how the panel looks for a D-Links settings page:
- Check the option to deactivate the firewall.
- Save or apply changes afterward.
5. Upgrade the router’s firmware
It’s critical to understand how to upgrade the firmware on your router for security reasons and also to increase the system’s performance. Router connections tend to have security issues occasionally.
This could pose a problem for your GlobalProtect VPN, causing it to not open after an update.
To upgrade your router’s firmware follow the steps below:
- Connect the router to your computer using an Ethernet cable.
- Go to your router’s manufacturer’s website and download the latest firmware update.
- Then log in to your router’s web management page.
- On that page, select the firmware you just downloaded to update your router.
- Restart your router to complete the upgrade.
6. Troubleshoot GlobalProtect on your PC
Running an automatic troubleshoot can save you some time because the issue is not always apparent. So if you can’t figure out why GlobalProtect VPN is not working, try this automatic fix. If the underlying issue is more serious than expected, make sure to get professional help.
- Open GlobalProtect.
- In the top right corner of the window, click on the three-horizontal icon. When it drops, select Settings > click Troubleshooting.
- Select Collect logs.
- Click open folder after it saves the file.
- Inside the folder, open the Pan GPA logs in a text editor.
- Press Ctrl + F to find the 10022 error. If a text with the error appears, then you will have to uninstall and reinstall GlobalProtect. Otherwise, contact their customer support team.
7. Update the GlobalProtect App
It’s important to always make sure you run the latest version of an app because it’s built to keep up with all the new developments in operating systems and security, making it work seamlessly and in sync with your OS.
- Open GlobalProtect VPN and select the three-horizontal icon to open the Menu.
- Select About.
- Click on Check for Updates..
- If any new versions are available, you will be able to download them directly from the UI. Click on Yes to start downloading and installing the latest GlobalProtect version.
What is the GlobalProtect Authentication failure?
When this happens, check to be sure you input the correct login information. It’s possible you changed your password but your browser stores an old one. Clear your autofill data or type or password manually.
We also suggest trying connecting to your GlobalProtect account from a different device, in case you have access to one.
Ultimately, if the issue seems to persist, contact their customer support team and request a password reset.
GlobalProtect VPN issues do not come up frequently, but when they do, they can be easily fixed with the right guide.
If all other actions fail to fix the VPN issues, then you may consider resetting your device to factory settings. This way, you can start from scratch to determine what exactly could be wrong with your VPN.