Before jumping into any pros and cons of a VPN and why you should install one, here’s a sneak peak of what a VPN is in the first place. Read on so you can find a solution if your McAfee VPN is not working.
Broadly speaking, a VPN stands for Virtual Private Network and creates a protected network connection when you are using a public network.
VPN works by routing your device’s internet connection through your selected private server instead of your Internet Service Provider (ISP).
This means that your data is encrypted and transmitted to the internet and it comes from the VPN server, not straight from your computer.
Here are the most common issues encountered by McAfee VPN:
- Oops, something went wrong
- We can’t connect to VPN right now
- You might have reached your 5 device limit
- We can’t connect to VPN right now. Try again later
- There’s no internet connection. Try again later
Make sure to read the article in its entirety to surely resolve this annoying issue.
How can I fix the McAfee VPN not working error?
1. Check your Internet connection
Here are some important elements that you need to consider before checking out the solutions presented in this guide:
- Make sure you have a good, stable internet connection – If not, contact your Internet Service Provider).
- Check the indicator lights on your router or modem – If everything looks ok, contact your ISP.
- Connect to another network – Doing so helps you determine if the issue is with your network or your router. This can also determine if your Internet Service Provider is censoring or restricting your VPN’s connectivity
2. Make sure that your PC’s system date and time is correct
Sometimes you can face this issue if you move to a different time zone, but you can easily fix it by adjusting its settings:
- Click on Start icon from the taskbar.
- Type date and time and choose Date and time settings option from the search list.
- Disable Set time automatically option. Wait for a few moments and turn this feature back on again.
After following these steps, your date and time should be automatically updated and the issue fixed.
Note that you can also click on the Change button, to manually set the correct values.
3. Update your network driver
- Exit McAfee VPN
- Click Start on the bottom left of your taskbar
- In the search field, type Device Manager and press Enter
- Look for network adapters in the list
- Expand the network adapters list
- If you see any yellow exclamation points, it means that the network driver is not correctly installed. Right-click it, select Uninstall device, and restart your PC. Windows will automatically reinstall the network driver.
- Try connecting to McAfee VPN now.
- If the problem still persists, try clearing your browser’s cache and cookies
4. Disable your firewall
- Click on Start icon from the taskbar
- Type firewall and select Windows firewall from the results
- In the left part of the screen, select Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender firewall, as you can see in the image below:
- Search for McAfee VPN on the list and make sure to allow all connections (incoming and also outgoing)
- Save the settings and see if it fixed the error
5. Change your VPN software
PIA, also known as Private Internet Access is a great VPN software that will surely prevent you from encountering the wide range of issues you found with McAfee.
The features offered by this software not only surpass, but leave the features found in McAfee ‘in the dust’.
With top-of-the-range network connection encryption features, this software protects your identity online from any cyber-attack, and provides a safe environment for gaming and torrenting.
PIA works perfectly on a variety of operating systems, including Windows, MacOS, Linux, Android, iOS, Chrome, etc. This ensures that no matter what device you use, you can still take advantage of the incredible set of options and features.
To make things even better, the user interface (UI) is extremely intuitive and easy to use, thus not requiring you to know any sort of networking-related terms to use it to the full extent of its capabilities.
Private Internet AccessRenounce all VPN-related issues by taking advantage of this powerful and stable software today!
6. Contact McAfee website admin
When none of the above works, you can, for example, contact the McAfee customer service and ask for their help.
To explain your issue, make sure to also provide the following information:
- A copy of your latest payment
- A detailed description of the error
- Your location where you are using their services
- The activation code
To sum up, when McAfee VPN is not working, it can be for a number of reasons: your connection speeds are low, the server that you chose is unreliable, the firewall interferes with your VPN service and so on.
Whichever the case, we explored some of the best troubleshooting techniques you can try to solve the issue caused by McAfee VPN not working anymore.