Just like video games and movies, the prices of mobile apps vary greatly between countries. While this is supposed to reflect local economies, some of us are often charged far more than our neighbors.
Below, we’ll help you find the cheapest country for in-app purchases. We’ll also explain how to save money step-by-step in Google Play and the App Store. Ready?
What’s the cheapest country for in-app purchases?
The cheapest country for in-app purchases is Turkey.
However, prices are constantly changing, as app stores adjust based on the local economy and other factors.
Here’s an example of how the numbers can differ:
In the UK, Panda Mouse Pro on Google Play is currently £2.79. That’s approximately R$17.66 in Brazil. However, on the Brazilian Google Play, it only costs R$11.99. Comparatively, that’s £1.89 in the UK — a nice little saving.
It gets better:
In Turkish Lira, the cost is TRY 19.99. Or, only £0.58 for a UK user paying in Turkish currency.
As you can see, you can save a significant amount of money with the right choice of country.
Note: This article deals with the general prices of all apps. However, individual ones may not follow this trend.
As of writing, the 10 cheapest and most expensive Google Play in-app purchase countries are:
|Cheapest in-app purchase countries||Most expensive in-app purchase countries|
How to buy in-app purchases cheaper?
You have to change your visible location and payment currency to get in-app purchases cheaper. A good VPN will help you spoof your location just like when buying games in other countries.
1. Use a VPN
We recommend ExpressVPN for this situation. It’s an excellent choice because it has servers in Turkey and can help you make in-app purchases with Turkish Lira.
Simply follow these steps:
1. Subscribe to ExpressVPN and download the app.
2. Sign in with your premium credentials and tap the three dots to open the full list of locations.
3. Choose Turkey and tap the big On/Off button to connect.
ExpressVPNExpressVPN’s vast server list covers all the locations with the cheapest in-app purchases.
2. Create a new Google account (recommended)
With the VPN turned on, it’s time to create a new Google account.
You should always do this when attempting to access the Play Store as a different nationality. You can make a new profile on your existing device. However, it’s safer to use a new device if you have one.
3. Change Google Play country
If you’re using a device that’s already associated with your real location, you may need to update the country. You can do so within Google Play:
1. Open the app and tap on your profile icon in the top-right.
2. Select Settings and find General. Then, tap on Account and device preferences.
3. Swipe down to locate Country and profiles.
At this point, it may ask you to add a payment method to confirm your new location. Ideally, it should correspond with the VPN location. But you can usually get around this by choosing PayPal or obtaining a prepaid card from that country.
How to pay for in-app purchases in Turkey – Android
You’ll need a Turkish-compliant payment method associated with Google Play to pay for in-app purchases.
The first option is to use PayPal. Still, it doesn’t always work on personal accounts associated with your real country. You’re more likely to succeed with a business account that handles international currencies differently.
Alternatively, you can use a Turkish gift card.
Purchase a Turkish Google Play gift card
Google Play offers virtual gift cards for people that want to send friends money to spend on the app store. If you purchase a Turkish one, you can apply it to your Turkish Google Play account and save money.
Moreover, you can get a gift card on third-party sites like Eneba, G2A, SEAGM, and others. You must then redeem the digital code within Google Play.
What’s the cheapest country for in-app purchases for iPhone?
iOS pricing works differently from Google Play.
Apple uses so-called tiered pricing, where developers choose a specific tier for their app or in-app purchase. They’re then automatically converted to the local currency of each country.
While there are guidelines for developers, the actual prices can still vary based on local economic factors and pricing strategies. In that sense, there’s no general “cheapest country” for in-app purchases on iPhone.
If you do happen to come across a nice price difference, it’s easy to change your iOS region. However, payment requires a few more steps.
How to pay for in-app purchases – iOS
Prices can vary due to local taxes. For example, in the UK it’s cheaper to buy apps from a US App Store region. Here’s what to do:
1. Subscribe to ExpressVPN and download the app to your mobile device.
2. Sign in and tap the three dots to open the full list of locations.
3. Choose the country you want to change your location to, which in our case is the US. Then tap the big On/Off button to connect.
4. Go to App Store and select your profile in the top right.
5. Tap on the profile name and email link.
6. Tap Country/Region and choose the same country as the VPN.
7. You must enter an address in that country. Also, enter your current phone number – it doesn’t have to be in that region.
9. Unless you have access to a US PayPal account or credit card, you should purchase email delivery iTunes/App Store gift cards. You can easily find them on Amazon.
Now you can make in-app purchases using the correct balance for your new location.
The cost of apps can differ due to exchange rates, local pricing strategies, and economic factors.
With a good VPN strategy as outlined above, you can certainly find the cheapest country for in-app purchases. Or you can at least make substantial savings if you keep your eye out for a good deal.