Netflix has grown to become one of the most popular streaming services on the global market and is currently the main option for many given its millions of users and worldwide presence.
The service is currently available in more than 190 countries and offers thousands of movies and TV shows titles; however, each country has its own content library which differs from the others
So, for example, if you wish to access the Netflix Mexico library, you need to either be physically located in Mexico or use a VPN service and connect to a server there in order to conceal your real location.
Unfortunately, Netflix has started a war on VPNs and now manages to block many of the existent services, and thus it can be very challenging to find the right one that is successful in unblocking Netflix depending on which library you want to stream from.
How does Netflix block VPNs?
If you try to access Netflix Mexico while on a VPN connection, you might end up with a streaming error as the one from above, which informs you that the system has detected that you were using a VPN.
When someone connects to a VPN server, they all share the same IP address assigned by the VPN and all of their connections appear to originate from the same location.
While this can be a good thing since it offers a layer of extra security for users, it can also make them susceptible to being detected by Netflix which can discover that a VPN IP address is used.
When this happens, Netflix will block those specific VPN IP addresses and even though the VPN provider will create new ones, after a while Netflix will detect them again and block you from streaming.
We understand it can be frustrating both for the VPN provider and common user when Netflix blocks a certain service; nonetheless, there are a few services out there that can still bypass these anti-VPN blocking measures.
As a result, if you want to stream content from the Netflix Mexico library, we came up with a list of 5 best tested VPN services that are currently effective in circumventing the Netflix VPN detection.
What are the best VPNs for Netflix Mexico?
Windscribe is a Canada-based VPN service that stands out among other competing services by providing a very generous free subscription plan while also being packed with plenty of interesting and useful features.
In addition to helping you bypass geo-restrictions by offering a great deal of locations from which you can connect, the service will also ensure a high level of security via strong encryption, stop tracking and protect your browsing history.
With Windscribe, you will be able to access the Netflix Mexico library from anywhere. The service was tested and proved to be successful in bypassing the Netflix VPN detection. Moreover, it works fine with many other libraries as well.
Although the service offers a free plan, it only allows connections to a limited number of countries, so you will need to get a premium subscription in order to connect to a Mexican server.
More about Windscribe:
- User-friendly client with a minimalist design.
- Servers in 110 cities across 63 countries.
- No connection logs, IP timestamps, session logs or monitoring activity.
- Unlimited number of simultaneous connections (one of the few VPNs offering this).
- OpenVPN, IKEv2, WireGuard & SOCKS5 protocols configuration.
- Firewall (takes the place of a regular kill switch).
- Split tunneling (Android only but coming soon for Windows, Mac & Linux).
- Port forwarding (you need to first purchase a static or residential IP from their website).
- Strong encryption (AES-256 cipher with SHA512 auth & 4096-bit RSA key).
- R.O.B.E.R.T. (customizable blocker that blocks ads, trackers & malware).
- P2P/torrenting support & double hop.
- Free plan (10 GB/month of data, unlimited connections & access to 10 countries).
- Risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
⇒ Get Windscribe
Boasting more than 650 million users worldwide, Hotspot Shield is a US-based VPN service that has already made a name for itself as being a great VPN solution for many.
With a consistent list of available servers in various locations as well as its own patented Hydra VPN protocol, the service helps you easily get around geo-location detection and also significantly maximizes your speed which is much needed regardless of your online activities.
Moreover, an online privacy and security being so important nowadays, Hotspot Shield will help you big time by anonymizing your browsing activity and ensuring your online safety via powerful encryption.
Hotspot Shield is very Mexico-friendly, so if you’re travelling or you’re currently located outside of Mexico, with this VPN you will get a Mexican IP and be able to stream your favorite movies and shows available in the Netlix Mexico library.
More about Hotspot Shield:
- 1800+ servers in 35+ cities across 80+ countries.
- No logging policy.
- Link up to 5 devices simultaneously.
- Own proprietary Hydra VPN protocol (very fast & secure).
- Kill switch for Windows, Mac OS, iOS & Android devices.
- Military-grade encryption & security.
- Malware protection.
- Unlimited bandwidth.
- P2P support & torrenting.
- Free plan (1 location – US, 1 device & 500 MB daily).
- 45-day money-back guarantee.
- 24/7 live tech support.
⇒ Get Hotspot Shield
HMA (formerly HideMyAss!) is a VPN service founded in 2005 in the United Kingdom and since 2016 became a subsidiary of the Czech cybersecurity firm Avast.
The HMA VPN is pretty popular on the market and by combining a host of nice features including dedicated streaming servers, great privacy, security and speed as well as affordability and a user-friendly interface, it can definitely be a good option for you.
The service claims to be very effective at circumventing geo-blocking, and this is true indeed since the tests confirmed that HMA unblocks websites and streaming services that are geo-restricted in certain areas.
Therefore, it should not at all come as a surprise the fact that after you will easily set up the VPN client on your device and connect to a server in Mexico, you will manage to successfully access the Netflix Mexico library and start enjoying your favorite shows without limitations.
More about HMA:
- 1,100+ servers in 290+ locations across 210+ countries worldwide.
- No logging.
- 5 simultaneous connections.
- OpenVPN & IKEv2/IPsec supported protocols.
- Kill switch (for Windows, Mac, Android) & split tunneling.
- IP shuffle (randomly changes your IP during your VPN session).
- Military-grade encryption & DDoS protection.
- Advanced leak protection & automatic connection rules.
- Speed test within the app.
- P2P-optimized servers.
- 7-day free trial.
- 30-day money-back guarantee.
- 24/7 live customer support.
⇒ Get HMA
Although PrivateVPN is a small Sweden-based VPN service, it does its best to compete with other services and provide you with a bunch of features that will measure up to anyone’s important expectations when it comes to picking the right VPN.
Whether you’re merely interested in bypassing geo-blocking, surfing the Internet anonymously or enhancing your online safety, with PrivateVPN you can get all of that while going about your online business as usual.
PrivateVPN is custom-built for Netflix, so by using it you’ll get to unlock various Netflix catalogs not available in your current location, be it your native country’s titles when you’re travelling abroad or any other country library for that matter.
As such, if you want to watch Netflix Mexico, look no further than PrivateVPN and you’ll be able to start streaming your favorite Mexican content in no time.
More about PrivateVPN:
- 200+ server locations in 63 countries.
- Zero data logging policy.
- 6 simultaneous connections.
- OpenVPN, PPTP, L2TP, IKEv2 & IPSec VPN protocols.
- Kill switch & port forwarding.
- SOCKS5 & HTTP proxy.
- IPv6 & DNS leak protection.
- 2048-bit encryption with AES-256.
- Unlimited bandwidth & speed.
- Anonymous torrenting & P2P friendly.
- Full 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Complete customer support.
⇒ Get PrivateVPN
Tunnel Bear is a VPN service based in Toronto, Canada, which was acquired in 2008 by McAffee but continues to operate as an independent service.
This VPN is good feature-wise in that it does very well its job of protecting you online through strong encryption and also helping you avoid geo-blocking when accessing services not available in your area.
Although it is said that Tunnel Bear chose to no longer keep up with Netflix’ increasing anti VPNs campaign, and thus is no longer generally effective at unblocking Netflix, there are actually proven exceptions to this.
Actually, despite the fact that the service will not work with many other worldwide Netflix libraries, it does however work just fine with Netflix Mexico, so you may confidently give it a shot to check by yourself.
More about Tunnel Bear:
- Minimalist & easy-to-use interface.
- 3000+ servers in 27 countries.
- No-logs policy.
- Active connections on up to 5 devices.
- OpenVPN & IKEv2 VPN protocols.
- VigilantBear is the name of its kill switch.
- SplitBear (split tunneling currently only available for Android devices).
- GhostBear (anti-censorship feature which makes your VPN traffic less detectable).
- Trusted Networks (the VPN connects automatically when you leave a network on the list).
- Military-grade encryption.
- P2P & torrenting supported.
- Free plan of 500 MB/month (you can get an extra 1 GB if you tweet about the service). Raaawr!
⇒ Get TunnelBear
Why does Netflix block VPNs?
First off, Netflix blocks VPNs not because they want so, but because they are required to do so by certain licensing agreements that were made between the company and other local or regional content distributors.
For example, when a Netflix subscriber uses a VPN to stream content unavailable in their country, they act in violation of Netflix’ copyright agreements.
Therefore, even though the subscriber is the one who uses the VPN, it is the responsibility of Netflix to not tolerate this and make sure content is watched only in the areas it is licensed for.
You may be asking yourself why Netflix does not allow you to stream content from all of its libraries irrespective of where you’re located at a certain moment.
On the one hand, it is because they can’t afford this, and on the other, because the media distributors don’t want to make such deals, as it’s not in their best interest.
So, what Netflix actually does is it acquires content through what is called territorial content licensing by which media distributors sell their content to streaming services in specific countries or regions instead of charging a flat flee to make the content available for a universal license.
How do I pick the right VPN for Netflix Mexico?
Picking the right VPN for streaming Netflix Mexico outside of the country – or other foreign catalogues for that matter – can be daunting for some of you given the continuous efforts made by Netflix to detect and block VPNs.
Nonetheless, although the list of VPN services that can effectively help you bypass the Netflix blockade began to narrow, some of them somewhat managed to keep up and remain reliable for this purpose.
All you need to do is make your own research (e.g. consult guides like this one) before randomly trying out different VPNs, as this may be time consuming and you might also end up not finding the right one after multiple attempts.
There are certain factors that you should take into account before choosing a VPN for Netflix. For example, when you connect to a VPN server, you share your IP address with all the others on the same server.
As such, this will make it easier for Netflix to detect the servers belonging to a certain VPN service, and then block it anytime it identifies connections made from those servers.
Therefore, what you need to look after when getting a VPN is the number of countries, locations and servers it provides, how frequently these servers are updated, etc.
This way, by having multiple servers available in a certain country, the connections will be distributed, which can also help decrease server load that slows your connection speed.
All in all, the VPN list we provided will help you get over any blocks when accessing the Netflix Mexico library since they were tested and proved to be successful in circumventing Netflix’ anti-VPN detection system.
As a result, you can confidently pick a VPN from our best 5 on the list, get a premium subscription to benefit from the unlimited package of features and start streaming Netflix Mexico carefree.
As an aside, you can also chill if you like but that is really up to you.