Read the affiliate disclosure page to find out how can you help VPNCentral effortlessly and without spending any money. Read more
An offshore VPN is often considered the best option for ensuring complete digital privacy.
With governments around the world becoming more intrusive, it’s crucial to have a reliable service that can hold its no-logs promise.
Browse the web from multiple devices with industry-standard security protocols.
70% of our readers choose ExpressVPN
70% of our readers choose ExpressVPN
Access content across the globe at the highest speed rate.
Connect to thousands of servers for persistent seamless browsing.
Today we take a look at the best, privacy-oriented VPNs outside the US.
Best offshore VPN services – a quick overview
Here’s all the essential information you must know about the best VPNs located outside the US and other not-so-privacy-friendly territories. For more in-depth reviews, keep reading.
|VPN Name||Headquarters||Tested |
|ExpressVPN||British Virgin Islands||✅|
Why choose an offshore VPN?
VPNs located outside the US are not legally obligated to share user data with intelligence agencies. This makes them the best international VPN options for those prioritizing privacy.
While 100% online anonymity is not attainable regardless of location, choosing a VPN headquarters in a country with no data retention laws is safer.
In contrast, the US has several acts and agencies through which it can access its citizens’ online activities.
These include The Stored Communications Act (SCA), The Electronic Communication Transactional Records Act, and the National Security Agency (NSA).
Now, ISPs or online services aren’t forced to retain data by default. However, if said data is necessary for an investigation, the government can issue a court order that compels them to record or share your user’s personal and traffic data.
Basically, even if your VPN doesn’t log your data, in some circumstances it may be forced to do so.
This leads us to the:
Best offshore VPN services in 2023
Below is a list of the best offshore VPNs on the market right now. Not only are these headquartered in privacy-focused locations, but they also have the necessary features that actually protect your data.
- Best-in-class encryption
- Tested zero logs policy
- Advanced data protection features like double VPN or obfuscation
Let’s get into it:
1. NordVPN – Panama-based privacy powerhouse
- Headquarters: Panama
- Logs policy: Strict no-logs policy audited by PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) in 2018 and 2020.
NordVPN is a top-tier VPN service known for its robust security features and excellent performance.
Based in Panama, a country with no mandatory data retention laws, it’s in no way obligated to keep and share user data.
This location is no coincidence because NordVPN promises to keep no user information in its zero logs policy. So what you do online is your business and your business only.
Not only that, these claims are confirmed by independent third-party security auditors.
With over 5,000 servers in 59 countries, it offers a vast network for users to choose from.
NordVPN uses AES-256 encryption, ensuring that your data is secure.
Furthermore, its CyberSec feature blocks malicious websites and ads.
- Based in a privacy-friendly jurisdiction
- Double VPN and Onion over VPN features
- CyberSec feature for added security
- Slightly more expensive than competitors
NordVPNUse this proven zero-logs VPN to remain under the radar! Browse freely without leaving a trace!
2. ExpressVPN – Fast service from the British Virgin Islands
- Headquarters: British Virgin Islands
- Logs policy: No activity or connection log policy, audited by KMPG and Cure53 in 2022.
ExpressVPN is one of the most popular VPN services globally, known for its speed, security, and ease of use.
It operates over 3,000 servers in 94 countries, providing a wide range of options for users.
According to independent auditors, this policy holds true. The VPN is in no way compelled to give out information and auto-deletes all your activity at the end of each session.
Furthermore, the VPN uses AES-256-bit encryption. This means that even if someone tries to snoop on your traffic, they’ll only get unreadable, jumbled text they can’t decipher.
What’s more, with features like split tunneling, a kill switch, and TrustedServer technology, ExpressVPN ensures that your online activities remain private.
- High-speed servers
- TrustedServer technology for added security
- 24/7 customer support
- Premium pricing
- Limited simultaneous connections
ExpressVPNEstablish an untraceable connection! Use ExpressVPN’s no-logs servers to keep your history private!
3. Surfshark – affordable and feature-rich
- Headquarters: Netherlands
- Logs Policy: No-logs policy audited by Deloitte in 2023
It is headquartered in the Netherlands, a country focused on citizens’ online privacy.
With over 3,200 servers in 100 countries, Surfshark provides a reliable and fast connection. You can access anything around the world and easily bypass censorship.
Adding to that, it has several noteworthy privacy features. For instance, it has 2 obfuscation modes: Camouflage mode hides that you use VPN and NoBorders mode ensures you can access any site or app from any country.
It also offers features like CleanWeb, which blocks ads, trackers, and malware, and MultiHop, which allows you to connect via multiple countries for added security.
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- CleanWeb and MultiHop features
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Smaller server network compared to competitors
- Some servers may offer slower speeds
SurfsharkGet unquestionable web privacy! Connect to Surfshark to get peace of mind when surfing the Internet!
4. CyberGhost – user-friendly VPN from Romania
- Headquarters: Romania
- Logs Policy: strict no-logs policy audited by Deloitte in 2023.
CyberGhost is a user-friendly offshore VPN service that offers a wide range of features tailored for different use cases.
It’s based in Romania, a country outside the 14 Eyes alliance, ensuring that your data is safe from prying eyes.
Just like any VPN that’s worth mentioning, it’s offering top-of-the-line encryption – AES 256-bit. So not only does it not log data, it’s also protecting it against third parties.
With over 9,000 servers in 90+ countries, it boasts one of the largest networks among VPN providers.
Furthermore, whether you’re looking to stream, torrent, or just browse the web securely, CyberGhost has a server optimized for your needs.
All in all, it’s a solid option for anyone who wants online freedom and privacy.
- User-friendly apps
- Dedicated servers for streaming and torrenting
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- Doesn’t work in highly censored countries
- Slower speeds on some servers
CyberGhostEscape web monitoring and censorship! Connect to CyberGhost to get a safe and fast connection with zero traffic logs!
5. ProtonVPN – Swiss-based security-focused VPN
- Headquarters: Switzerland
- Logs policy: No-logs policy audited by Securitum in 2023.
Based in Switzerland, a country known for its strict privacy laws, ProtonVPN ensures that your data is safe and secure.
It was developed by the team behind ProtonMail, one of the world’s largest encrypted email services.
It promises not to log user traffic on any device, both for its free and paid versions. This was put to test and proven by several security audits, the most recent one being in 2023.
The strong emphasis on security and privacy is further proven by features like Secure Core, which routes your traffic through multiple servers.
This further protects your connection and prevents anyone from learning where your traffic is coming from.
It also offers Tor over VPN, which allows you to access the Tor network with a single click.
- Secure Core and Tor over VPN features
- Based in a privacy-friendly jurisdiction
- Strong emphasis on security
- Fewer servers compared to competitors
- No 24/7 live chat support
Proton VPNShield your data from trackers and logs! Use Proton VPN for advanced traffic protection and safe web surfing.
Can you be tracked with a VPN?
While VPNs significantly enhance online privacy and security, they are not 100% foolproof. Some services may log data by choice or because they’re compelled by the law to do so. DNS leaks and connection drops may also compromise the privacy of data.
A VPN can hide your IP address and encrypt your online activities, making it much harder for third parties to track you.
However, there are still ways you could potentially be tracked:
- VPN logs: If a VPN provider keeps logs of user activity, those logs could be accessed by third parties.
- DNS leaks: DNS leaks will expose your online queries and browsing activity.
- Malware: If your device is infected with malware, a VPN won’t protect you from being tracked.
Choosing a reputable offshore VPN provider with a strict no-logs policy and robust security features is crucial to minimize these risks.
Can VPN be circumvented?
Yes, there are methods that can be used to detect or circumvent VPN usage, including deep packet inspection, IP blocking, and port blocking.
- Deep Packet Inspection (DPI): Some advanced firewalls use DPI to detect VPN traffic and block it.
- IP Blocking: Websites or online services might block known VPN IP addresses.
- Port blocking: Some networks might block the ports used by VPN protocols.
However, many top-tier VPNs offer features to counteract these measures, such as obfuscated servers or the ability to switch ports.
Which countries ignore DMCA?
Countries that are often cited as ignoring DMCA requests or having more lenient copyright enforcement include:
However, it’s essential to note that while these countries might not adhere to the DMCA, they might have their own copyright laws and enforcement mechanisms.
It’s best you make sure you only download and share files and media that comply with copyright laws. Even with a VPN, you may still get a DMCA notice.
Choosing an offshore VPN is one of the best ways to ensure your online activities remain private.